Football, Rugby, UFC, GAA
All free when you join eir Broadband
Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe says Republic of Ireland midfielder Harry Arter may not play for the club again this season following an Achilles injury.
The 26-year-old suffered the injury in the 3-0 Premier League defeat to Tottenham on 20 March, and withdrew from the Ireland squad for the friendly internationals against Switzerland and Slovakia on 25 and 29 March.
Ireland manager Martin O'Neill suggested that Arter would be given game time and a chance to prove his fitness in the international friendlies against the Netherlands in Dublin on 27 May and Belarus four days later, but Howe now says the player may not feature in any of the Cherries' final five matches of the Premier League season.
"Harry saw a specialist this week for his injury," Howe said.
"We are waiting to see the outcome from that before we know whether we will have him back with us this season.”
In other Bournemouth news, Howe says he will not rush star striker Callum Wilson back to action.
The 24-year-old, who ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in September of last year, came on as a 90th-minute substitute in Saturday's 2-1 win over Aston Villa at Villa Park.
Howe says Wilson will likely start on the bench again in Sunday's Premier League clash with Liverpool at the Vitality Stadium.
"I hope we'll see more of him but I'm not going to say he'll start games and put that pressure on him," Howe said.
"We need to keep a close eye on him and make sure he's building up his strength, his touch, his game awareness.
"It's just great to have him training around us every day. He hasn't had a reserve game yet to he is still some way short of his best. I don't think we'll see that until next season."