Football, Rugby, UFC, GAA
All free when you join eir Broadband
McLaren driver Jenson Button says it is unlikely he will compete in F1 next year.
Button, who is out of contract with McLaren at the end of the season, played down rumours that he will drive for Williams next year.
"I will only be racing next year if I am in a car that is competitive. I have enjoyed the journey the last year and a half – but there is a point where you feel you have done enough and you can’t give any more to the project to help it move forward," the former world champion said.
The Briton, who won the world title with Brawn in 2009, admits he is disappointed that he has failed to make the podium at the British Grand Prix in 16 attempts since 2000.
"I obviously wish I had better results here, but you have to take what you are given. I’ve got very close to the podium a couple of times. There was that time I was second and the wheel fell off in 2011," the 36-year-old said.
"It’s just been unfortunate. You always want to celebrate with the supporters. The fans are awesome and there is always such a good festival vibe that makes it such a special race. We need more GPs like this. There’s more of a buzz now and I enjoy it even more every time I come here."
Button, who finished 12th and ninth in the two practice sessions at Silverstone on Friday, says he is still committed to the sport and enjoying the friendly rivalry with team-mate Fernando Alonso.
"I wouldn’t have finished sixth in the last race [in Austria] if that was the case [that he is not still passionate for F1]. I still have the challenge of racing alongside Fernando and the project is still really exciting, how it is developing."