We use cookies to provide you with a better service. Carry on browsing if you're happy with this, or find out how to manage cookies.

6 great sport channels

Football, Rugby, UFC, GAA

All free when you join eir Broadband

Subscribe to eir Sport
Published: 16:20 | 2/3/16

Johnson guilty on one count

Former Sunderland footballer Adam Johnson has been found not guilty of one count of sexual activity with a 15-year-old, but he has been found guilty of the second charge.

Ahead of the trial at Bradford Crown Court, Johnson admitted grooming the girl and one count of sexual activity but denied two more serious counts.

During the two weeks of evidence, the jury heard Johnson met the girl in January 2015 after agreeing to sign football shirts for her, with the player admitting that they kissed. However, he testified that the encounter did not go any further.

Although the girl told the court that he "put his hands down her pants" the jury found him not guilty of the charge.

After failing to reach a unanimous verdict on another count of sexual activity with a child, the jury were told a majority verdict would do and they returned with a guilty verdict.

Johnson was given bail ahead of sentencing but Judge Jonathan Rose warned the 28-year-old he will receive a 'substantial prison sentence.'

"You can say goodbye to your daughter. A prison sentence will mean you will not see her for some time," the judge said.

Shortly after the verdict was read out, Sunderland issued a lengthy statement refuting any suggestions the club was aware that Johnson intended to change his plea at the start of the trial.

The statement read: "To respect the legal process, Sunderland AFC was unable to comment on this case until after the jury had delivered its verdict. It has now done so and we thank our supporters for their patience and understanding. We now wish to clarify certain matters which arose during the trial.

"Mr Johnson was suspended by the club immediately following his arrest on March 2, 2015. At that time, the club was advised by police of the broad nature of the allegations against Mr

"Johnson, who was being advised at all times by his own legal team. The club felt that the decision to suspend was appropriate at that time, even though he had not then been charged with any offence.

"Two weeks later, his suspension was lifted after a meeting between the club and the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), and after the club took independent legal advice. The club reached this decision only after carrying out a safeguarding assessment and liaising with relevant agencies.

"On 23 April 2015, Mr Johnson was charged with four offences. The club was informed that it was Mr Johnson's intention to defend all the charges, a stance he maintained right up until the first day of trial. The club continued to review the safeguarding procedures it had put in place throughout this time.

"On 4 May 2015, an introductory meeting took place between Mr Johnson, his father and Orlando Pownall QC. Mr Pownall had not previously met Mr Johnson. The club's CEO was present during part of that meeting.

"During the time that she was present there was no suggestion whatsoever that Mr Johnson would be changing his plea. Some documents were received relating to the case, which were immediately sent to Mr Pownall for his attention. However, the club was not in a position to make any judgment on the outcome of the case nor on Mr Johnson's decision to defend all the allegations.

"Following that meeting, Mr Johnson again confirmed to the club, presumably on advice from his own legal team, that his intention was to defend the charges in their entirety and he was confident of success once all evidence had been considered. He subsequently entered not guilty pleas to all charges on 6 June 2015.

"The club did not give evidence either for the prosecution or the defence in this case. It was therefore not present in court when it is understood that a suggestion was made that the club knew all along that Mr Johnson was intending to change his plea just before trial to enable him to continue to play football for the club and that the club may also have been involved in tactical discussions about the plea.

"This is utterly without foundation and is refuted in the strongest possible terms. The club never placed any pressure or demands on Mr Johnson to play football during this process. Decisions in relation to the pleas and the conduct of the trial have been left entirely to Mr Johnson and his highly experienced and skilled legal team. Mr Johnson has admitted in evidence that he changed his plea 'on legal advice'.

"The club only became aware of the change of plea, in relation to two of the four counts on the indictment, on the first day of the trial, after hearing it reported through the media. The club was not advised in advance that Mr Johnson would plead guilty to any offence. Had the club known that Mr Johnson intended to plead guilty to any of these charges, then his employment would have been terminated immediately.

"Indeed, upon learning of the guilty plea on 11 February 2016, the club acted quickly and decisively in terminating Adam Johnson's contract without notice.

"This has been an extremely difficult time for all involved. The victim and her family have endured an unimaginable ordeal in the last 12 months and we trust that they will now be allowed to move on with their lives without further intrusion or public scrutiny.

"Following the announcement of today's verdict and the release of this detailed statement, the club intends to make no further comment."

No change in Toure situation

10:09 | Today

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola wants to recall Yaya Toure but insists he will not do so until he receives an apology from the player's agent.

Janssen: I have confident

14:03 | Today

Vincent Janssen insists he has not lost faith in his ability despite struggling for goals since his move to Tottenham.

Wenger praises Oxlade-Chamberlain

10:51 | Today

Arsene Wenger has praised both Carl Jenkinson and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain for their performances in the 2-0 EFL Cup defeat of Reading.

De Bruyne out of derby

14:30 | 25/10/16

Kevin De Bruyne will miss Manchester City's EFL Cup fourth round tie against Manchester United on Wednesday.

Conte: I always show respect

13:56 | 25/10/16

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte insists he has nothing but respect for his opponents after he was reportedly accused of being disrespectful to Manchester United.

What’s in the eir Sport Pack?

We’ve got heartstopping action across 6 great sports channels, with 42 Premier League games, every Champions League game and every Europa League game, as well as UFC, Allianz Leagues GAA, Golf, F1 and much more.