Football, Rugby, UFC, GAA
All free when you join eir Broadband
Conor McGregor has been granted a rematch with Nate Diaz on the UFC 200 card in Las Vegas on July 9.
McGregor stepped up to welterweight at UFC 196 only to suffer his first loss in the Ultimate Fighting Championship when he was forced into submission by the American.
Talk of a rematch has refused to go away and UFC chiefs have confirmed that the pair will renew rivalry at UFC200 at the newly-built T-Arena in Las Vegas.
McGregor had been due to fight Rafael dos Anjos for the lightweight title at UFC196 but was forced to step up to welterweight after the Brazilian suffered a broken foot.
Speaking to ESPN SportsCenter, UFC president Dana White admitted he tried to talk McGregor out of fighting Diaz again.
“He was obsessed- obsessed with fighting Nate Diaz again,” White said.
“Obviously, Lorenzo (Fertitta, UFC co-owner) and I tried to argue with him and said, ‘Let’s go back to 145 and defend your title. Or if you really want the Diaz fight that bad, do it at 155.’ He wants the fight at 170.
“Even his coach tried to get him to get off the rematch and off the 170-pound fight... but it’s what he wanted.”
UFC 200 will also feature the featherweight contest between Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar with the winner then taking on McGregor for the title.