We use cookies to provide you with a better service. Carry on browsing if you're happy with this, or find out how to manage cookies.

6 great sport channels

Football, Rugby, UFC, GAA

All free when you join eir Broadband

Subscribe to eir Sport
Published: 18:23 | 30/6/16

Vertonghen out for eight weeks

Belgium manager Marc Wilmots has confirmed that defender Jan Vertonghen will sidelined for up to eight weeks with the ankle injury he sustained in training this week.

The 29-year-old, who has started all four of Belgium's Euro 2016 fixtures in France this summer, damaged two of his ankle ligaments in training ahead of the Red Devils' quarter-final against Wales in Lille on Friday.

"I blew the whistle to stop the training session and he went down and turned his ankle," Wilmots told a press conference.

"His tournament has come to an end, he'll be out for between six and eight weeks."

Jordan Lukaku is expected to come in at left back with Jason Denayer replacing the suspended Thomas Vermaelen at centre-half.

"I still have a few alternatives to replace Jan.

"I will think it through and we will decide tomorrow."

Wilmots also confirmed that he had been in touch with Vertonghen's club side Tottenham about the injury.

The former Ajax defender will miss Tottenham's opening matches of the Premier League season, which starts on 13 August with a visit to Goodison Park to take on Everton, followed by home matches against Crystal Palace and Liverpool.

Vertonghen missed nine of Tottenham's Premier League games last season because of medial collateral ligament damage in his knee.

Mata: We must carry on

10:21 | Today

Manchester United must 'remain mentally strong and keep going' if they are to put their defeat to Chelsea behind them, Juan Mata has said.

City duo on Ballon d'Or shortlist

09:13 | Today

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been shortlisted for the 2016 Ballon d'Or award.

Arsenal want Wenger to carry on

15:12 | Today

Arsenal want Arsene Wenger to stay on as manager beyond the end of the season but are in no rush to open contract talks.

Sissoko accepts FA charge

15:46 | Today

Tottenham midfielder Moussa Sissoko has been handed a three-match ban after he accepted a Football Association charge of violent conduct following an incident d...

Arter accepts Sissoko apology

11:45 | 23/10/16

Bournemouth midfielder Harry Arter has accepted Moussa Sissoko's apology for elbowing him during Saturday's Premier League draw with Tottenham.

What’s in the eir Sport Pack?

We’ve got heartstopping action across 6 great sports channels, with 42 Premier League games, every Champions League game and every Europa League game, as well as UFC, Allianz Leagues GAA, Golf, F1 and much more.