We use cookies to provide you with a better service. Carry on browsing if you're happy with this, or find out how to manage cookies.

7 great sport channels

Football, Rugby, UFC, GAA

All free when you join eir Broadband

Subscribe to eir Sport
Published: 12:08 | 3/4/16

We'd 'look like fools' - Wolff

Mercedes boss rues qualifying gaffes

Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff believes that Formula 1's chiefs would "look like fools" were another unsuccessful qualifying experiment to be attempted at the Chinese Grand Prix.

A new format for qualifying was introduced at the season-opening Australia Grand Prix, before being tweaked for the Bahrain Grand Prix.

The system features drivers being eliminated at 90-second intervals but has effectively resulted in lifeless conclusions to sessions, with competitors opting to record early 'banker' laps before finishing their work long before the chequered flag.

In addition, viewers have complained en masse that one's focus tends to be on the standings and countdown clock, rather than the on-track action.

"I think after Q1 and Q2 (in Bahrain), I don't see what you can like," said Wolff.

"It's very difficult to follow as to who is in and out, and we have a duty to simplify the sport rather than add complexity.

"It doesn't mix up the field enough that would make the race more entertaining, so I hope we can have some reasonable discussions."

A return to last season's format is a possibility for the upcoming event in China, reported Wolff following a meeting with FIA president Jean Todt.

"When I spoke to Jean last week he said he wanted to approach things in a structured way," said Wolff.

"He felt with Q1 and Q2 there was maybe something to learn, and therefore he wanted to go for the Melbourne format again, or the hybrid version to find out if it was all bad.

"If it was all bad then the most realistic scenario would be to go back to 2015 qualifying, and he said that to me.

"We're not in a position anymore, after changing twice, to experiment for Shanghai. We would look like fools.

"Maybe there is a different format that could be interesting. He said a single-lap shootout for the last eight drivers, which could be interesting.

"But we need to properly assess it, and if we find all the data and information we collect make it look like an interesting format, we should implement it in the rules and race it next year, but in a structured way."

Alonso to stay at McLaren for 2018 season

17:28 | 19/10/17

Double world champion Fernando Alonso has signed a new deal to drive for McLaren in 2018.


Hamilton relationship "was a bit weird', says Button

13:04 | 16/10/17

2009 world champion Jenson Button says Lewis Hamilton "was a bit peeved" when he joined McLaren in 2010.


Hamilton enjoying 'elder statesman' role

18:37 | 9/10/17

Lewis Hamilton has laughed off the age gap between him and some of his rivals in Formula One and says he's privileged to be competing against such great young d...


Verstappen "struggled" to match Hamilton

22:33 | 8/10/17

Max Verstappen says his Red Bull car was always struggling for pace compared to Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes at Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix.


Vettel clinging on to slim Drivers Championship title hopes

10:51 | 8/10/17

Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel is clinging to his Formula 1 title dreams afer a retirement in the Japan GP at Suzuka.


What’s in the eir Sport Pack?

We’ve got heartstopping action across 7 great sports channels, with 42 Premier League games, every Champions League game and every Europa League game, as well as UFC, Allianz Leagues GAA, Golf, F1 and much more.